Embracing the Opportunity to Make a Difference
This 6-day certificate program addresses the key leadership concerns faced by every senior nurse leader within the LTC setting, or for those who aspire to and are being groomed for such a position. The program covers the full range of competencies required of the DOC/ADOC, including advanced leadership, management and human resource functions and responsibilities.
This is an intensive, comprehensive training program. Participants complete pre-work before attending the program, develop and commit to two different self-directed leadership action plans (LAPs) during the course of the program.
The program is developmental in nature, with participants building skills and knowledge on a progressive, integrated basis from one day to the next. Various combinations of individual, team and large group processes are incorporated into the program to reinforce and embed learning. Utilizing a full range of adult learning principles, participants are expected to be fully engaged in an accepting but challenging learning environment. Participants, and their Home Advisor, complete pre and post online assessments to evaluate and measure knowledge gain and leadership behaviour change.
The program includes many opportunities for group sharing and discussions, recognizing the richness of relevant knowledge and experience that participants bring to the program. Collaborative-based Peer Learning Partnerships are created to encourage information exchange and problem-solving, support and reflection, both within and external to the program. Self reflection and peer-to-peer feedback and faculty mentors also encourage growth and enhance learning.
The program utilizes a select group of professional guest speakers and faculty, with varied expertise essential to the success of the senior nurse manager in long term care. Special interest group sessions are held on three evenings, offering a more informal learning environment and personal participant mentoring.
Whether currently in a senior nurse leadership role or being groomed for such a position, the DOC/ADOC Program provides real and lasting benefits for growing and aspiring leaders.
Program Benefits Include:
• Smooth transition into senior management role
• Provides for effective succession planning
• Positioned for future advancement to more senior nurse leadership roles
• Enhanced family and resident relationships
• Acknowledged by staff as a progressive, responsive leader
• Increased confidence in dealing with fiscal requirements
• Recognized as a valued member of the management team
• Equipped to accept and deal with managerial and human resource challenges
The over-arching goals of the DOC/ADOC Leadership Certificate Program are to:
- Inspire and challenge senior nurse leaders working in long term care to achieve both personal and workplace leadership excellence
- Gain the skills, knowledge and confidence to lead in this challenging care sector
- Improve the quality of care and services for residents living in long term care
- Contribute to a healthy workplace environment
Each session (or component) in the program has specific learning outcomes, each in support of achieving the over-arching program goals.
|Day||Date||Location – New This Year|
|Session A – Day 1||December 1, 2019||BMO Institute for Learning
3550 Pharmacy Ave.
|Session A – Day 2||December 2, 2019|
|Session A – Day 3||December 3, 2019|
|Session A – Day 4||December 4, 2019|
|Session B – Day 5||January 26, 2020||BMO Institute for Learning
3550 Pharmacy Ave.
|Session B – Day 6||January 27, 2020|